Giambattista Tiepolo (or Giovanni Battista; Venice, March 5, 1696 - Madrid, March 27, 1770) was an Italian painter and engraver, citizen of the Republic of Venice.
He is one of the greatest painters of the eighteenth century Venice.
Among his offspring there were the painters Domenico and Lorenzo Tiepolo.
Among his works are:
• Apollo and Marsyas, 1720-1722, oil on canvas, 100 x 135 cm, Venice, Gallerie dell'Accademia.
• The Martyrdom of St. Bartholomew, 1722, oil on canvas, 167 x 139 cm, Venice Church of San Stae.
• Bellerophon and his horse Pegasus, ca 1723, fresco, Venice, Palazzo Sandi.
• Ascent to Mount Calvary, 1738-1740, chancel, Sant'Alvise, Venice
• Crowning with Thorns, 1737-1740, right aisle, Sant'Alvise, Venice
• Flagellation, 1737-1740, right aisle, Sant'Alvise, Venice
Giambattista Tiepolo gallery