Giovanni Antonio Canal, better known as Canaletto (Venice, 17 or 18 October 1697 - Venice, April 19, 1768), was an Italian painter and engraver, known primarily as a landscape painter.
His paintings, as well as join in the topographic representation of architecture and nature, were the careful atmospheric rendering, from the choice of precise lighting conditions for each particular time of day and from a survey conducted with scientific objectivity criteria. the artist, to paint his works sometimes made use of the optical chamber. His main works:
• The Grand Canal towards Rialto, about 1723, oil on canvas, 144 × 207 cm, Venice, Ca 'Rezzonico Museum of Eighteenth Century Venetian
• Basin of San Marco, Giudecca, about 1723, 141 × 154 cm, Cardiff, National Gallery of Wales
• Rio Beggars, 1723, 143 × 200 cm, Venice, Ca 'Rezzonico Museum of Eighteenth Century. VenezianoIl Palazzo Ducale, 1725, oil on canvas
• The Grand Canal from the north-east towards the Rialto Bridge Dresden, Gemäldegalerie
• Campo Santi Giovanni e Paolo, and Scuola Grande di San Marco, about 1725, oil on canvas, Dresden, Gemäldegalerie